We headed to the boat after grabbing a coffee at the local gas station/grocery store/restaurant (it's a very small town). Things were quiet in the boat yard, a few people starting work on their boats and one boat in the process of being launched. We began to get Senta prepared. We put on the mainsail and found some dock lines and fenders in the boat. I tried to tidy up a little below as we had rummaged around to find where the previous owner kept everything. We made sure all the thru hulls were closed, and checked the engine oil. The man in charge came by to see if we were ready to go and to give us a few instructions.
The boat was transported to the launch area with a yard trailer than lifted off the cradle and placed gently into the water with a travel lift. It all thankfully went without any problems. Once in the water, I checked the bilge and thru hulls for leaks. Only a small drip was coming from the sink drain. We pulled the boat forward to the dock and did a more thorough check. Our plumbing that we did when installing the marine head proved less than ideal as it leaked as soon as we tried pumping the handle. Our connections needed some plumbing tape and some caulking. We were able to stop the leak in the sink by tightening the old bronze fitting that attaches to the thru hull.
The true test would be when we tried to start the engine. I had been worried about it working as its quite an old motor, over 30 years old. However, the previous owner recently had it overhauled and many of the parts replaced. It took two turns of the key, but she started up and seemed to run smoothly. After running for a while we shut down the engine. It was a huge relief to know that the engine works as repairs or replacing would be a major unwanted expense.
Sure that the boat would not sink, we headed back into town to pick up some food. It's quite hard to buy for a couple days because I end up wanting spices and condiments with the food. But I think we did ok. I bought a package of hot dogs and buns and some ketchup, as well as some sandwich supplies, pork chops, potatoes, fruit and some cereal and milk. So we shouldn't starve.
I was anxious to get out on the water and do some sailing. I had a fear that the boat may not sail so well as she displaces 6700lbs and has a full keel. We had a less than perfect pull away from the dock as I wasn't used to the throttle, gear controls or tiller but no dings or scratches, just not very pretty (I hope no one was watching). We motored out a little ways then I went forward as my dad steered and I raised the sails. Second wind had all lines leading back to the cockpit so raising the sails from the mast was new to me. The sail went up easy, well a little too easy as the bottom sides came out of the track on the mast. I had to lower the sail back down and reinsert the slides. More carefull this time I raised the sail and winched it tight. I raised the yankee sail next and quickly returned to the cockpit. Once the wind filled the sails we cut the engine and were left with only the sound of water rushing by the boat and quiet lap of waves.
Ahhhh I had waited all winter for this.
I was impressed with the boats performance. We had all sorts of wind conditions in the bay from dead calm to gusts to a steady 15 knot breeze. I love the sturdiness of the boat as the gusts created only a slight heel and even in the lightest breeze she made good speed and kept a straight course. I could have kept going but we turned around at 4:00pm so that we could be back to the dock before it got dark.
Satisfied with the days events, we spent our first (very cold) night on the boat. I claimed the v-birth or what I like to refer as the stateroom as the door to the head shuts off the v-birth from the main cabin. My dad took the starboard quarter birth. The only complaint we have is the cushions are original to the boat and are rock hard. I mean, "It was like sleeping on concrete" as my dad put it. The cushions, I think are top of the list for replacing!
No comments:
Post a Comment